Homemade Baking by Catherine Atkins, Valerie Barrett and Gail Wagman
Makes 18 - 20
250g plain flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
125g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
200g caster sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
175ml single cream
115g sandwich cookies or biscuits, coarsely crushed (we used Oreos)
For the icing
180g white chocolate, broken into squares
180g cream cheese or full fat soft cheese, softened and cut into pieces
185g unsalted butter cut into pieces
Mini sandwich cookies or crushed cookies or biscuits to decorate (we didn't ice ours as we were decorating a different way).
1. Preheat oven to 180c/350f/gas 4. Grease cupcake tin or line with cupcake cases
2. For cupcakes, sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar together in a separate bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually add eggs, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract. Alternately add the flour mixture and cream to the creamed mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in the crushed cookies or biscuits.
4. Spoon the batter into the cupcake tin filling each about two thirds full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
5. Make the icing by melting the white chocolate in a large heat proof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. It should be just warm to the touch. Remove the bowl from the heat.
6. Beat the cream cheese or soft cheese and butter together in a separate bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the melted chocolate and beat again until smooth. Use the icing immediately or it will harden. Spread some icing over the top of each cupcake, then top with a miniature cookie or sprinkle with crushed cookies or biscuits immediately, while the icing is still soft. Leave to set before serving.