Friday, 31 March 2017

The Background Story

Today I'm sharing the 6 background ATCs made for the March UKATC swap.  This is additional to the partner and themed swaps and is a nice opportunity to be creative without having to think of the finished card.
For the top card I used Crafty Individuals' script stamp and Distress Ink in Pumice Stone.  The edges were then inked with DI Seedless Preserve.  This makes a nice background, perfect for vintage style finishes.
The middle card was cut from a larger background piece I created a while ago.  I used Daler Rowney watercolour paper and the side of a large squirrel mop watercolour brush, dipped into two different colours of paint.  I pushed the side of the brush onto the paper to create the fish, almost as a print. 
 As an artist it's always a great exercise to 'play' with brushes to see what sort of marks can be made by holding them at different angles to the paper.
The bottom card was white, sprayed and splattered with Glimmer Mist Sugar Maple before inking the edges with DI Vintage Photo.  Another versatile background suitable for any theme of card.
For the next one I started by letting yellow and orange watercolour mix together on white card.  Then using DI Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade and Fired Brick I used a variety of stamps to create a riot of flowers, over-stamping some to give depth
For the middle card I used a music score stamp and DI Pumice Stone to create a faded background, before stamping the Eiffel Tower with DI Black Soot.  The image was stamped twice to give a faded look.
For the last card I used the music score stamp again in DI Seedless Preserve, stamped over a background sprayed with Cosmic Shimmer Vintage Mist, Antique Rose.  I then inked the edges with DI Dusty Concord.
I hope my swap partner finds these useful and I look forward to possibly getting one or two back at some future date as a finished ATC.


1 comment:

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Lovely backgrounds - your partner will make some nice pieces out of them for sure!