Saturday, 14 January 2017

Every Journal Page Tells a Story

This is the current theme at ART JOURNAL JOURNEY for the month of January.  There's been a great response to this theme set by Erika, so click the link and get some inspiration. 
 
At first I didn't have a clue what to do and thought I'd probably skip this theme but then sitting at my desk one day looking at the display of figure paintings pinned to the wall, I had my light bulb moment.   The display represents my first foray into figure painting and I use it to study what went wrong in the painting process and how I can improve on it.  So here is my journal page depicting the struggles I have with drawing and painting faces.
 

This was a watercolour painting of a ballerina taken from a tutorial.  It was my first attempt at painting sheer fabrics and I was reasonably pleased with the results except for the face!!.  So here I've cut the painting into strips which for me represents the errors in the work and the need to improve but I left out the strip with the all-important facial features. 
 
To create the page background I allowed blue and red watercolour paint to mix on the page to contrast with the strips which were glued with Modg Podge.  For the figure painting I used Winsor & Newton watercolour tubes and Langton NOT surface watercolour paper.
 

6 comments:

froebelsternchen Susi said...

What a fantastic idea for a page! I love it!
Great to see you at AJJ !
Thank you for linking this great entry!
oxo Susi

Valerie-Jael said...

Your journal page is lovely, and the delicate colours fit the theme so well. I like that you cut up something you weren't so happy with and made a wonderful, new piece from it. Thanks for joining us at AJJ. Hugs, Valerie

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Hi Sue, peaking through the strips it looks like you created a beautiful painting. This is a fantastic page ! Thanks for stopping in at my blog, it's appreciated. Shirleyx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, your painting is lovely, how you managed to create the transparency and ruffle effect on the gauze of her beautiful skirt is beyond me. Your page is a beauty! Have a great weekend! J :-)

~*~Patty S said...

Your journal page is beautifully done and the strips you added really draw me in.
Your ballerina looks fantastic to me.
I would be thrilled to be able to paint like that.

My name is Erika. said...

Sue, that is a great story and you really did have a brilliant moment. I think using the first piece and cutting it into strips is such great symbolism. Glad you decided to do it and join us. Hope you have a few more brilliant moments and stop back soon. Hugs-Erika