This is the current theme at ART JOURNAL JOURNEY for the month of January. There's been a great response to this theme set by Erika, so click the link and get some inspiration.
At first I didn't have a clue what to do and thought I'd probably skip this theme but then sitting at my desk one day looking at the display of figure paintings pinned to the wall, I had my light bulb moment. The display represents my first foray into figure painting and I use it to study what went wrong in the painting process and how I can improve on it. So here is my journal page depicting the struggles I have with drawing and painting faces.
This was a watercolour painting of a ballerina taken from a tutorial. It was my first attempt at painting sheer fabrics and I was reasonably pleased with the results except for the face!!. So here I've cut the painting into strips which for me represents the errors in the work and the need to improve but I left out the strip with the all-important facial features.
To create the page background I allowed blue and red watercolour paint to mix on the page to contrast with the strips which were glued with Modg Podge. For the figure painting I used Winsor & Newton watercolour tubes and Langton NOT surface watercolour paper.