Wednesday, 8 June 2016

Journal into Narnia

Hi Folks.  Been busy decorating so access to my craft space and laptop has been restricted.  Anyway I'm sharing my art journal page for this month's ART JOURNAL JOURNEY theme of 'Maps'.
 
I've always enjoyed reading and for my 8th birthday my parents bought me the complete 'Chronicles of Narnia' - all seven books in a lovely, illustrated, hard cardboard case.  I've still got them in fact. 
 
When I first saw this theme I was only thinking of maps of the world and countries but then I glanced up at the bookshelf and saw my set of Narnia books and immediately knew what my page would be about. 
 
So here it is - my map of Narnia.
 
 
I started by randomly painting the page with teal and cream chalk paint, then attaching the scanned map with Mod Podge.  You can tell the book is old because the pages have yellowed so much, the scan picked up the colour
 
When the Mod Podge was dry I used Gesso to cover a small section ready for the stamp which is from Doo Lally Pip, stamped with StazOn black ink. 

 
I used modelling paste and a Tim Holtz Faded Dots stencil to add some texture and finished off with some doodling, handwriting and a magazine word.
 
So there you are and now I'm off to tidy the wardrobe!


 

5 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page and a lovely choice - Narnia has always been one of my all time faves. Thanks for joining us at AJJ; hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Wonderful! Such a lovely page and isn't it super that the challenge theme brought you back to this exciting adventure of your youth - a fantastic page to commemorate the Narnia Chronicles!!!Thanks a lot for being with us again at Art Journal Journey!
oxo Susi

My name is Erika. said...

Great idea. And I love how you tied your page into a warm memory. :) Erika

Mary C. Nasser said...

Love your created approach to the map theme of art journaling! Love the story behind the page, too! :)

~*~Patty S said...

Brilliant take on the map theme and how special to revisit these timeless classics! Your page is lovely.
Happy beginning of the weekend.
oxo