Monday, 16 May 2016

Lovely Cupcakes

As part of my Christmas present my daughter bought a cupcake decorating class for us both to enjoy.  We both love baking and I particularly like decorating cupcakes (yes I'm remembering the waistline!) but I always end up piping buttercream on the top.  So this was a great opportunity for a girlie day out 'window shopping' in Edinburgh, lunch and to learn a new skill. 
 
 We always have such a laugh when we go shopping but it's a rare event these days as she lives in England and we both miss not having each other nearby anymore.
 
 
As you can see this is a very busy layout - I just went for it and in a way it reflects all that we pack into the time we spend together.
 
I started with a background paper of pink and lavender fairies then added a large white paper doily and a rectangle of shiny pink for the photograph.
 
I included the print-off she made to give me at Christmas so I wouldn't see the price and the label she wrote on the envelope.
 
I used two cream tags for the journaling, stencilling a flower on each with pink chalk paint.  The black and white cupcakes were stamped onto card using StazOn black ink because originally I was going to colour them with watercolour paint.  However I changed my mind, thinking that was a little over-the-top and I actually like them as they are.  The sentiments are from a set of printed acetate images which just seemed appropriate for the layout.
 
Needless to say the class was brilliant.  With 14 of us provided with delicious caramel cupcakes and a cake box, we were shown how to make 6 different decorations using sugar paste and an assortment of moulds, gold spray and cutters.  Easy to follow and do at home and as we left we were already chatting about how we could adapt some of the techniques and add to them for all kinds of cakes.  We also decided we'd like to go to one of their other classes as well.
 
If you live in the Edinburgh area and you're interest in cake decorating check out 3-D Cakes
 
 

No comments: