Thursday, 5 May 2016

Absentee Blogger with a Drawing

Yep, I've been absent again but that's life.  We've been very busy with family stuff which has taken over our lives for the last month but I managed a 2-day break to Bristol because my husband was working there.
 
I visited the Bristol Museum and Art Gallery and spent several hours admiring some lovely paintings.  It's not a big gallery but an interesting one and in the Victorian and Edwardian gallery I found several wonderful pieces, including 'The Mackerel Shawl' by Algernon Talmage painted in 1910. 
 
It is a large painting depicting a lady with her back to the artist but with her reflection in the mirror.  The folds of the dress and the shawl are really the focus and as the gallery was empty at the time and didn't mind people drawing, I did a quick outline sketch of  just the figure to get proportion and angles correct.  I bought a postcard of this and several other paintings and later finished my sketch in more detail.  And here it is.
 
 
This is only the second time I've attempted to draw fabric and the first attempt at a figure, so I'm quite pleased with the finished result. 
 
I'm working on a couple of craft projects at the moment and will hopefully share these and this month's ATCs with you over the next couple of weeks.
 
I hope you've managed more creative time than me recently.
 
 


No comments: