Friday, 26 February 2016

Lily's Surprise

This canvas is a gift for my sister when I visit her and knew from the start that I wanted to use my newly-acquired Lily Elsie stamp from Oxford Impressions as the focal point.  
 
 I've never used photo stamps before and was a bit puzzled to find the image was barely visible on the stamp.  Not knowing what to expect I inked the rubber with black StazOn and as if by magic, the lovely Lily appeared.  Just like developing a negative and very exciting (I don't get out much!).
 
 
I started with a spray of Tattered Angels' Glimmer Mist in Gingerbread and used a dry baby wipe to smudge some of the ink to colour the canvas.  Next I used a lovely corner stencil and Imagination's Sparkle Medium in Diamond.  Once this was dry I realised it had magically absorbed some of the Glimmer Mist to give a subtle faded effect in places. 
 
 
The thick chipboard pieces were cut to size and after spraying with glimmer mist,  I gave each a coat of gesso to tone down the colour.  Then I inked them with Distress Ink in Vintage Photo before stamping the sentiments (Tim Holtz Stuff to Say) and the image.  To finish off, I used the sparkle medium on the corners of the image and edges of the sentiments before hot-gluing to the canvas.
 
 
I really enjoyed using this stamp and look forward to using the other images from the set.
 
 
 

1 comment:

Lynne Moncrieff said...

So pretty!
This set is one of my all time favourites from Oxford Impressions. You will come to love photo real stamps even if they do require different inking techniques. Sue, I don't know if this will interest you but inking the stamp with a brayer aids the appearance of the image and you will achieve varying results of stamping depending on the surface you stamp onto. Photo real stamps are manufactured differently to regular stamps. Archival inks are one of the best ink choices as well. I say all this but of course, it is also trial and error and what works best for you.
Wishes
Lynne