Saturday, 11 April 2015

Art Journal - Things I Love

I'm sharing another art journal page which is the first of several I intend to do about the things I enjoy doing.  I was going to start with my love of papercrafting but was inspired by the current challenge at FASHIONABLE STAMPING CHALLENGES - Sew What.  I've been sewing quite a lot this week,  in one form or another, so it's an apt subject for my journal.
 
 
I started by piercing holes around the page to sew a border using purple embroidery thread leaving two quite long pieces of thread where I finished sewing on the top right-hand corner. 
 
I used Archival ink in coffee and black for the tape measure, cotton reels, thimble and sewing machine, stamping these onto white paper as I wanted to cut them out to make a collage.  The safety pins were stamped onto a mottled yellow background and once glued in place I toned all the elements down slightly with some gesso and a little pink chalk paint.
 
The corsetry receipt, from a Crafty Individuals' collage set, was stamped using DI Pumice Stone directly onto the page.  The two dressmaker's forms were die cut from white card then painted lightly with the chalk paint before being stamped using DI Dusty Concord and Seedless Preserve, also used for the word 'sewing'.  Can you see the mistake there?  I used individual alphabet letters for this and managed to get a vertical line through the 'w', which was the edge of the stamp.  A happy accident as it turned out which I used to my advantage later.
 
 
Returning to the thread ends, one was wound around the chipboard cotton reel and dress forms, then  sewn through the page above the inked mistake in the 'w' to make it look like a needle and thread.  Clever huh?  The other loose end was trailed down the side and the page was completed with some bubble writing.
 
 

Future pages will journal my love of scrapbooking, ATCs, altered art, watercolour painting, crochet and baking.  I'll share some of them with you along the journey.

 
 
 

1 comment:

Yvonne Garner said...

Hi Sue! You have put an amazing amount of effort into your journal page to build your sewing theme. Thank you for sharing with us at FSC!