It's the 1st of the month and a new 'Anything Goes' Challenge at Altered Eclectics which also means my DT Project to inspire you. We are an altered art only challenge so please, no cards, scrapbook layouts etc.
I wanted to do something with my growing collection of jam jars, some of which are nice shapes and decided on creating a little vase for small posies of wild flowers collected on walks or daffodils, anemones whatever is in season.
I thought about heat embossing and crackle paints but in the end opted to try out these glass paint pens from Marabu. They come in a huge selection of colours and are very easy to use, even on rounded surfaces. I bought mine in Hobbycraft but they'll be available elsewhere.
I started to 'doodle' stylised flowers, rather than try to copy real ones, although there are some recognisable bluebells and tulips on the vase. I chose only one colour for the flowers and painted the flower heads first, drawing the outline and then filling in. The paint did run slightly from the top of the petals but not beyond the outline already drawn and by tipping the jar it would run back and fill-in the space again.
When the flowers were dry I added the stalks and leaves and the orange centres in some of them. The paint then has to dry for about 4 hours before baking in the oven at a very low temperature for 30 minutes to harden the paint (instructions are on the individual pens). After that, according to the manufacturer's instructions, the paint will be dishwasher safe but I haven't tested that as I wouldn't put anything hand-painted in the dishwasher anyway.
To finish off, I used some thick wire and threaded a selection of beads before securing this round the neck of the vase.
Here's my posy vase filled with delicate Gypsophila and a single Anemone but you could fill with candle wax to make decorative candles.