Monday, 2 March 2015

Looks Like Spring

Crisp, bright sunny days with lots of blue sky.  It looks as though spring is here to me although there is a forecast for snow later today in my part of the world. But the brighter weather made me think of the warmer days to come and coupled with a lovely bouquet of flowers I received, gave me the inspiration for altering this box canvas.  I bought it ages ago and this seemed the perfect project.
 
 
I started by using a very weak wash of orange watercolour then  using a scrunched-up tissue, dabbed randomly over the paint to lift some of it out, creating a mottled effect.
 
 
I used a selection of funky 70s style flowers to stamp around one corner, using black StazOn ink.  It didn't matter that some of the images didn't stamp completely as I was going to add colour to them using Galleria acryclic paints.
 
I stuck to a limited palette of yellow and red, mixing these to make orange and painted inside the stamped edges.  It reminded me of the 'Painting by Numbers' sets I used to have as a child.
 
 
My original plan was to leave this as a flat image, stamping the sentiment directly onto the canvas.  However the edges at the back are angled so I couldn't get a flat object behind the canvas to fit exactly into the top left corner.  No matter as I much prefer to add some texture and dimension to my projects somewhere.
 
I used a small piece of thick white card and painted this with some of the acrylic paint ensuring the colour was uneven.  When dry I stamped the Tim Holtz sentiment from Stuff to Say onto the card and added the two little birds from a Crafty Individuals' stamp.
 
 
 
The wooden frame was already printed with circles which matched the 70s theme.  I just painted over the top in a weak solution of orange watercolour to tone the background colour down then used a hot glue gun to stick the frame and sentiment to the canvas.
 
I'm entering this into two challenges:
 
FASHIONABLE STAMPING CHALLENGES - Colour Between the Lines
COUNTRY VIEW CHALLENGES -  Anything Goes
 

3 comments:

Sue said...

I love your gorgeous bright colours on this Sue, makes me wish for Summer! Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts. Sue xx

Laurart said...

Wonderful! Such an amazing canvas! I adore those bright colours. Thanks so much for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges this time - Love from Laura xxx

Dots Dabbles said...

Hi Sue, I love how the bold colours just jump right off the canvas. It is Spring all over, and such a really happy vibe to it.
Thanks for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges.
Dot x