Monday, 2 February 2015

Affairs of the Heart

To decorate a dressing table I decided to make a small plaque and with Valentine's Day looming, the theme of love and romance seemed appropriate.  I didn't want to use the  traditional red as the plaque was to have a vintage feel, so I opted for my favourite Distress Ink colours in muted browns and pinks and some inky, messy distressing.  
 
 
I started by painting the brown chipboard oval with white chalk paint then used texture paste and a heart stencil, edging them with a red felt pen when dry.  Next I dabbed a little  Festive Berries stain onto the base and smeared this over with a baby wipe, including the hearts.  This gave the base a soft colour  Then I spritzed it with Cosmic Shimmer Vintage Mist in Antique Rose.
 
 
The sentiment frame is cut from Cricut Elegant Cartridges, screwed up a little to create some subtle creases and lightly distressed round the edges before being inked with Tattered Rose and  threaded with cream ribbon.   I had the perfect sentiment from Tim's Stampers Anonymous 'Stuff to Say' set, stamped with Vintage Photo.
 
 
The flowers are inked with Tea Dye, varying the amount used: the petals curled with a very thin paintbrush handle.  The wooden heart is coloured with Vintage Photo stain and a small piece of lace, a few pearls and some dark brown twine finish it off.
 
 
I'm entering this into two challenges:
 
A Vintage Journey - Love is in the Air
 
Frilly and Funkie - Be My Valen-twine
 
 

3 comments:

Cec said...

Very pretty plaque and very feminine with the flowers, lace and the ribbon woven through the frame. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
Hugs!
Cec

Brenda Brown said...

Such a pretty plaque Sue and perfect for a 'love' theme.
Thanks for sharing it at A Vintage Journey.
hugs Brenda xxx

Buttons said...

What a beautiful and delicate little plaque Sue. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie and A Vintage Journey. Jenny x