Wednesday, 20 August 2014

I'm in the Frame for a Happy Accident

This is one of those posts where I intended to take photos at various stages and then got carried away in the pleasure of making something pretty and forgot the camera.
 
I wanted a frame for a lovely photo of my daughter and her boyfriend but because it will sit on a fairly narrow ledge in my office, I also wanted something lightweight.  Now before I go any further I should explain that as the photo was taken professionally, I can't show it so that's why there is a white square in the middle of the frame.  Sorry. 

  
Anyway, I chose a papier mache frame of which I bought two at the Hobbycrafts's fair for the silly price of £1.  I know, I can hear you all shouting 'Should've bought more at that price!!!'.  Anyway I forgot to take a picture of it before I started so you'll have to trust me when I say it was plain brown, like wrapping paper. 
 
I didn't want to do anything too fancy or fussy because I wanted the photo to be the main focus so I started by painting the frame with white acrylic paint.  Then I used Imagination crafts Sparkle Medium in Gunmetal and a heart stencil to make two short borders around the frame.  That's when the happy accident occurred!  I thought I'd taped the stencil down but it slipped and so the heart smudged.  I took a baby wipe and started to rub the Sparkle Medium off and to my delight it spread across the frame, giving a distressed look.  I liked the effect so I smudged some all the way round the frame.  When that was dry I used the Medium again with the stencil and you can see the result.

 
 
I decided to mount the photo onto two layers of very thick card cut to size, so it stood proud of the back.  This was very effective - take my word for it.
 
 
 

1 comment:

stampdiva said...

A lovely frame, the hearts are such a sweet addition.
Wishes
Lynne