Sunday, 4 May 2014

Roses and Romance

Yes, it's a romantic theme over at CRAFT-ROOM and the perfect opportunity to play with the WOW Shabby Chic roses mould and the fantastic Martha Stewart Crafter's clay I bought recently.  More on that later but first the project.   I decided to alter this bottle which started life as Tommy Hilfiger aftershave. 




When I alter bottles I usually like some of the glass to be uncovered  but very often there are is some marking on the glass that needs to be covered up.  This bottle was completely clear on one side so to cover the other three sides, I took some white tissue paper and first stamped over it with Crafty Individuals' CI-017 script stamp in DI Broken China.  I then stamped over the top, randomly, with DI Black Soot and the word 'Love' from a Tim Holt, Stuff to Say stamp.

 
This is a side view of the bottle.

Now to the roses.  The Martha Stewart clay is an air-dry clay that's so easy to use and incredibly light.  If you haven't tried it yet, you're missing a real craft innovation.  You only need a small amount of the clay which you push into the mould, smooth the back and then peel the mould back to release the rose.  There's a huge range of moulds too, not just Martha Stewart, and most of them  are food safe, so if you're into baking - double bonus.  I also bought a cameo and vintage mini frame mould by Katy Sue Designs which I'll try in the next week or so. Back to the roses, which once dry, were sprayed  lightly with Cosmic Shimmer Vintage Mist in Astral Blue but you can use your Distress Inks to colour them,  paint them with acrylic paints or even mix different colours of the clay. 


The one on the bottom right was coloured with a little blue clay, the one bottom left was sprayed with Cosmic Shimmer.  I also used two smaller, pale blue resin roses from my craft stash.

 
Anyway on with the project.  Sometime ago I bought a pack of iron-on seam binding for a pound, thinking it would come in useful.  When I opened it I found I could separate the paper backing from the fusible webbing, leaving me with very delicate fabric ribbon and paper ribbon which I can stamp onto.  I took the webbing and sprayed lightly with the Cosmic Shimmer and pushed a small piece of this into the bottom of the bottle.  I took another piece of the stamped tissue paper, rolled into a tube and pushed this inside as well, pulling it into place at the back of the bottle with some tweezers so the word 'Love' was visible.
 
I used turquoise stickles down the edges of the bottle and on the bottle cap to brighten it up and stuck the top on with hot glue, before adding the fringe which was a pale pink but once sprayed with the Cosmic Shimmer, it took on an aged look.
 
The wooden heart was painted with DecoArts acrylic paint and all the elements were hot-glued in place.

 
 

4 comments:

Leikkaan Mervi said...

hi Sue, wow gorgeous altering, lovely roses!
Thank you for sharing at Craft-Room Challenge, welcome again;-))m

Debi said...

Sue, love how you've played with my theme, love the altered bottles, and those roses look fun to make :-) thanks for sharing with us at Craft Room Challenge, Debi x

stampdiva said...

This is really lovely and the roses are beautiful - isn't it such an easy mould to work with.
Wishes
Lynne

Zoe Sanderson said...

Oh my word this is amazing, fascinated to read about the fusing webbing and how you separated it and used it from within the bottle. This has got to be one of the most beautiful things I've seen here and as this site abounds with beauty that is saying something. Thank you for sharing with us at Craft-Room, you honour us. XOXO Zoe