Thursday, 8 November 2012

Autumn Leaves in Watercolour

I love the colours of Autumn, especially the leaves turning to all those beautiful coppery red and buttery yellow colours but that's all I like.  I don't enjoy the dark mornings and evenings or  the drop in temperature.  However, I took inspiration from nature on a walk last weekend round Balgavies Loch near Forfar and picked up a few of those gorgeous Autumn leaves to paint.  I can't tell you what the leaves are though as I can't find them on the internet in their Autumnal colours. 


 I dropped the paint  onto the leaves using a wet in wet technique, tilting my board to allow the paint to run and working quickly to add the darker colours and some of the mottled effects of the drying leaves.  

When the paint was completely dry, I used Derwent Watercolour pencils to add the veins and some more of the detailed mottling to finish.  Now I just have to find a nice frame and possibly a deep red mount to bring out the colours. 

I used a mixture of Winsor & Newton and SAA watercolours in Alizarin Crimson, French Ultramarine, Burnt and Raw Umber and Hookers Green, 

Blogger Templates


1 comment:

June Macfarlane said...

Wow this is stunning. what brilliant effect you got with the watercolours, perfect autumn leaves. I love it Sue.

Also wanted to pop by and say a huge thank you for your kind words and support on my blog.
Hugs June x