Saturday, 25 August 2012

Where Have All The Flowers Gone?

I've been working on some new pieces of art to hang in our newly decorated halls and decided to combine elements from my paper crafting as well as paintings.  

This canvas was painted with artist's acrylic paint in Mars Black then stamped using Titanium White acrylic paint.  You need to be careful with acrylics because they do stain and once dry will not wash off.  I used some of the free stamps from Craft Stamper Magazine as they are not too detailed and therefore easy to clean.  Have a container of warm soapy water to hand and put the stamps into it as soon as you've finished using them and wash then with a sponge or soft brush.  Instead of using an acrylic stamping block which is inflexible and difficult to use on canvas, I left the stamps on their acetate backing so I could push the image into the soft canvas surface and used a paintbrush to cover the stamp with paint. 


For the flower panels I used thick white card which had a slightly shiny surface, so I gave them a coat of artist's gouache to give a matt finish.  Then I used black and red StazOn to stamp the images.  The large panel is from a Kanban set of Chinese themed stamps and the other two are Inkylicious stamps.  The butterfly was received in a craft swap and was the perfect size for this piece.  The panels were inked round the edge in red and then adhered to the canvas using a hot glue gun.

Blogger Templates


1 comment:

stampdiva said...

Sue, you should photograph the hall so we can see the art displayed.
The acrylic is a good idea, what I do is place the stamps onto my fingers when I need to get an impression on a tricky surface.
Love the delicate appearance of each piece.
Wishes
Lynne