Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Our Wonderful Cat Smudge

With Louise going to Warwick University in September for the next stage of her studies, she won't be able to come home as frequently as she has in the past.  No problem for us as we can go and visit her but we can't take our beloved cat Smudge, who Louise adores and was bought as her pet.

We bought Smudge from a cat rescue centre in Surrey for a donation of £30 in 1997.  They said she was about 8 months old so she is now an older cat but still full of life and mischief.

I thought I'd make a nice album just about Smudge for Louise to take with her and as I'd never made an acrylic album before chose that as the base.  I had real fun (and a couple of headaches) making sure the pages didn't show through too much and spoil the tantalising little peeks at the next page.  I chose to use the same papers and colours throughout to tie the album together and on each page I stamped swirls using StazOn Inks in black and White Cotton Opaque.  The sentiments, cat images and hearts were all cut on the Cricut using the Gypsy Wanderings cartridge and two of the pages have journaling cards in them which I've yet to complete.

As the current challenge theme at CRAFT ROOM is Four Legged Furry Family, I'm entering this album.





On the left hand page I typed out the poem that Louise wrote and entered for a competition in 2001 held for secondary pupils aged 11-13.  It was a national competition, broken down into regions and the winners had their poem published in the relevant book.  I'm proud to say Louise's poem was picked and it seemed perfect for inclusion in the album.  I've typed the poem out at the end of the post.





MY CAT CALLED SMUDGE

I have a cat called Smudge,
and call her every name under the sun,
Spid-Wud, Poopie and even Diddle-Dum.
She has these mad half hours,
And sprints across the room,
She skids across the wooden floor,
and crashes into the broom.
Smudge is wonderful,
She is the best cat of all,
She purrs at my every movement 
and comes to my every call.
So Smudge is my baby,
The best of all best friends,
She will stay with me forever,
until the very end.

Louise aged 11
Blogger Templates


3 comments:

Zoe Sanderson said...

Wonderful book a treasure for your girl to keep with her while away from home. Talented girl reading that poem takes after her Mum. Thank you for sharing with us at Craft-Room Challenge. Hope you checked the blog hop winners list! XOXO Zoe

Debi said...

Sue, what a perfect little memory book for your daughter to have with her, love the book, and her poem made me smile, thanks for joining us again at Craft room challenge, debi x

Nikki Byrne said...

Fabulous project, so detailed and perfect for our four legged friends challenge at craft-room this fortnight. Thank you for sharing and good luck.

Nikki DT