Thursday, 24 May 2012

Standing At The Garden Gate

This is one of those projects which just sort fell together if you know what I mean.  I've been sifting through boxes and shelves that have not seen the light of day for a while and on one such foray, I discovered a shoe box filled with the little brass and copper coloured metal miniatures I used to collect on childhood holidays.  I had quite a little collection from  cheese dishes to tankards, kettles and bellows.  I also had a watering can, a roller and a wheelbarrow.  

Then in the drawer where I keep all those 'well it might come in useful' objects, I found the balsa wood box that contained the most delicious liqueur chocolates Louise bought for Keith at Christmas.  The lid turned sideways reminded me of a garden gate and yes, you can see where this is going can't you?

I removed the balsa wood lid and painted it pale blue using acrylic paint.  When dry I stamped tiny orange and yellow leaves using a little stamp I made last year using a Speedball Speedy Carve stamp making kit.  On top of this I stamped Mary, Mary using a See D's alphabet, and added the image from Crafty Individuals' Miniatures, People and Places 2 and the tiny paper flowers.  Lastly I used a hot glue gun to stick the metal miniatures in place and added the garden twine. Now I was going to distress the miniatures but couldn't bring myself to deface them that way as the whole point of this project was really to preserve some childhood memories.



It won't be to everyone's liking but then art or craft work of any kind is very subjective and at the end of the day,  I work, primarily, to please myself and yes, I'm very pleased with the way this turned out.


Blogger Templates


No comments: