Saturday, 19 May 2012

A Little Fabric Goes A Long Way

My old knitted phone sock has finally come to the end of it's life so I decided to make a new one.  I cut a double thickness of  fabric from some curtain lining, allowing for a seam all round and a cuff at the top.  Then I  remembered that I'd lost the case for my sunglasses (yes I know, very optimistic) so I cut some more cloth to make a drawstring bag for these as well, again allowing for seams and the drawstring at the top.  Then I decided that having a few gift bags ready to decorate would be a good idea, especially as I had the sewing machine out, so I cut another half a dozen little bags in different sizes and stitched them all together.

Because the fabric was far to light to withstand the everyday use that a phone sock would get (and I'm hopeful the same will apply to the case for my sunglasses!!) I soaked them in some cold tea to darken the cloth.  When dry I ironed it and then stamped both cases with the Eiffel Tower (Clarity Stamps) three times using Distress Ink in Broken China, Fired Brick and Vintage Photo.  


On the phone cover I stamped the first two towers then the little plane and made a mask for this so I could stamp the third Eiffel Tower over the top.  As the case for the glasses is bigger I stamped the images apart then threaded the cord through the cuff at the top to finish off.

As luck would have it, the current theme at CRAFT ROOM  is 'Add Fabric' so I'm entering these.  If you'd like to join in click the link or scroll down the sidebar for their button.

A word of warning to anyone who has an iPhone. There is a software upgrade for the phone via iTunes and last weekend I duly connected the phone and downloaded this.  It deleted all of my contacts and I'm not the only person to have had this problem.  It's advisable to always keep a back-up of your contacts: great advice which I wish I'd followed the first time round!!  Needless to say, I'm still compiling my contacts list.

Blogger Templates


5 comments:

Maria said...

Hiya Sue, I love these! How gorgeous, and sooo useful! I do like how you've got the plane flying between the 2nd and 3rd image. Thanks for sharing your lovely creations with us over at the Craft-Room Challenge, and good luck in the draw.

Maria x

Zoe Sanderson said...

Well you and Maz must be in tune with each other! Fabulous as always and so useful. Will make the most unique and special gift bags, treasured gifts in their own right. Thank you for sharing with us at Craft-Room Challenge we always enjoy visiting XOXO Zoe

Debi said...

hi Sue- I need to make one of these!! love your colours and stamping, perfect for our challenge, thanks for sharing at Craft room challenge again, Debi x

Suzanne Brookfield said...

Hi Sue,,,,wonderful stamping, so skillfully done. Thank you for sharing with us at the Craft Room "use fabric" challenge this fortnight. Suzanne:)

hazel said...

These are fabulous and what a great idea. Thank you for joining us at Craft-Room Challenge.
xxx Hazel.