Thursday, 12 April 2012

Message in a Bottle

I created this piece for the Fashionable Stamping Challenges 'Nautical' themed challenge.  Click HERE or scroll down the sidebar for their button.

Although I usually like making vintage style pieces, I like to try something different now and then and will venture into other styles.  I didn't feel inspired to make a card, ATC or altered box for this challenge and I couldn't shake off the shipwreck aspect of the theme.  I felt compelled to use a bottle somehow and so here is the result.



I used a piece of seashore patterned paper and muted the colours down with a wash of dilute white designer's gouache before sticking it to a piece of chipboard.  Then I lightly painted some pale blue acrylic paint onto a piece of white card in straight lines and blurred the edges with more gouache but wanted to create stippled effect, like foam on waves.   Now I'm sure you've seen those balls of nylon mesh, sometimes called bath buddies or lillies, for exfoliating the skin?  Well I untied them and put them in the wash thinking they would come in handy one day and so I used a strip cut from one of them to randomly stamp little flecks of blue paint over the top of the card.  I stamped the seashell image several times in black StazOn onto the prepared card and cut them out and I also cut out three of the shells from the backing paper to mix it up a bit.



  The little glass bottle originally had some flavoured coffee syrup in it so I used a hot glue gun to stick this to the side of the card and made the 'message' by inking a torn piece of paper in Distress Ink Vintage Photo and stamping the Crafty Individuals' script stamp CI-017 on the top.  I added a small starfish and shell together with the string and a small piece of the bath mesh to finish it off.

Blogger Templates


12 comments:

Mrs.B said...

Sue this is a fabulous piece. Love all the details and you have created such wonderful textures. Love the addidtion of the 'message in a bottle'
Thanks for sharing with us at FSC
Avril

Kim Dellow said...

Wonderful piece, do love your textures and that fab message in a bottle. Kim

Mynnette said...

L-O-V-E this! The bottle is a stroke of genius--and I LOVE all the netting! Fabulous creation! :)

Yvonne Garner said...

This is sheer genius! Love it! Thanks for joining us at FSC! Yvonne

Ephemera said...

Hi Sue, this is gorgeous, such a brilliant idea and adding the bath lily as mesh is the perfect touch. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at FSC. XX

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

A wonderful creation Sue - love the message in a bottle and all the fab. seaside embellishments.
I have just found your lovely bog via Crafty Individuals, and it's been a pleasure to take a peek at your inspirational work.
Sylvia x

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

What a fantastic project, simply superb! I adore that message in the bottle ;). Thank you for sharing it with us at FSC! x

Ps. Come and join my 2nd Blogaversary candy ;-). Hope to see you there and good luck!

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Sue!!! what a gorgeous project!! I just LOVE it! I'm doing my youngest daughters room in a beach theme, I will so have to try something like this to decorate her room! Love your work! xx

Kristina said...

Love the compiled design, it is wonderful!

Kristina
Visiting from Fashionable Stamping Challenges - Nautical
Please stop by and say hello! :-)
www.pearlgateway.com

Redanne said...

Hi Sue, I love your entry, especially the message in a bottle theme, wish I had thought of that! Regards, Anne x

Maria said...

This is fabulous Sue, I love the the message in a bottle, and the starfish & shell embellishments, and what a great idea to use a bath scrunchie! There won't be any in our bathroom by morning!

Maria x

stampdiva said...

Hi Sue
You gave FSC Nautical theme such thought and consideration when creating this.
Love the details, each so perfect and relevant.
Thank you for sharing with us at FSC.
Wishes
Lynne