Saturday, 3 March 2012

A Labour of Cupboard Love For 'Me Ol China'

Some of you may remember me posting month's ago about the little cabinet I was altering for my collection of blue and white china miniatures.  I wanted to create a rustic look  and knew which stamps and colours I wanted to use but time just got in the way.  Well  you'll be glad to know that it's finally completed and to prove it here are some pictures for you.  Starting with the bare, naked cabinet before I got my inky 
paint-covered mitts on it.

 

I didn't sand it at this stage but painted it with one coat of  brilliant white undercoat.


When dry I lightly sanded the surfaces to give a smoother finish which removed patchy flakes of paint to give the cabinet a more distressed look.

Next I used a plastic template of swirls and mixed up a pale, dove grey acrylic paint mix and used this to stencil the swirls on each side of the cabinet and one small swirl on the top left and right of each door.  When dry I used black and dark blue StazOn ink to stamp the music, vintage ladies, keys and sentiments directly onto the cabinet.  Then I stamped the little girl images onto white paper and stuck these to the sides brushing them in with some white Gouache.





Using a piece of Cut & Dry foam, I wiped all the edges, inside and out, using Opulence Pearlised Silk paint by Craig & Rose and also dabbed this through some sequin waste to create the circles. Lastly, using gold StazOn, I edged the outside of the cabinet, over the Pearlised paint and added a few very light smudges here and there on the main body of it too.

And here it is, all ready to be fixed to the wall and filled with my miniature china.



I'm really pleased with the way this turned out and I think it looks far more expensive than the £4.50 I paid for it at the charity shop.  A real bargain huh?

Blogger Templates


Blogger Templates

2 comments:

stampdiva said...

Sue
It is the complete sense of satisfaction that you not only up-cycled an item, helped a charity but created something you couldn't possibly purchase in a store.
Stunning makeover.
Wishes
Lynne

Maria said...

I'm sure I remember this a little while ago Sue. You've altered it absolutely beautifully, I love it, and it will look fabulous, I'm sure, in your home.

Maria x