Wednesday, 3 August 2011

Wish You Were Here Craft Room Challenge

The current challenge at Craft Room is Holidays which could be a favourite destination or special memory.  Here's the link if you want to enter http://www.craft-roomchallenge.blogspot.com

At first I thought about a scrapbook layout but then I kept coming back to postcards.  Most people send or used to send a postcard to family and friends back home telling them what a great time (or otherwise) they were having and so I decided to use this format.  I knew I wanted to use an old photo of my sisters and family paddling in the sea in Norfolk and so made a vintage postcard which could be part of a scrapbook layout later or made into a postcard book a bit like a tag book.

Sea Palling is in Norfolk and I have many happy memories of going to stay with my Uncle Keith (Mum's brother) and Aunty Ivy in their beautiful cottage in Rollesby on the Norfolk Broads.  We used to go to Sea Palling most days and I'll never forget it's huge stretch of beautiful sandy beach and sand dunes.   My memories of Sea Palling are at least 16 years or so after this picture was taken around 1948 of my Mum, two sisters, Nan and family friend Bea, enjoying a paddle at a place I used to call Sea Pauline when I was very young.


I cut a piece of white card to 4" x 6" and inked the edges and also roughly inked onto the card surface with Distress Ink in Brushed Corduroy.  This is the colour I used throughout the project.  I used a piece of the Tim Holtz Shabby Chic Vintage paper pad, cutting slightly smaller than the postcard backing, inked the edges and stuck this on.  I scanned and printed the photo out to a smaller size, inking the edges then mounted it onto a piece of white card,  inking the edges of this as well and stuck onto the postcard.

I used a Crafty Individuals postcard stamp for the top of the card and then using my Cricut and the Gypsy Font,  die cut the words Norfolk and Sea Palling from white cardstock which I had roughly inked using the flat of the ink pad to swipe the colour on.  I wrote the sentiment and added the journaling at the bottom using an archival pen.  I kept the information to a minimum just stating the date and who was in the picture as the reverse of the postcard has plenty of room for more journaling if this was to be added to a postcard book or it could be stuck onto a page layout on 3 sides and hidden journaling tucked behind.

Blogger Templates

9 comments:

Zoechaos said...

Wonderful idea to make this very personal postcard. Must have been surrounded by memories while you were making it. Thank you for making and sharing with us at Craft-Room Challenge, again and good luck in the draw. XOXO Zoe

Maria said...

Your postcard is beautiful Sue, and such a lovely way to keep treasured photos and memories! Good luck, and thanks for joining in at the Craft-Room Challenge. Maria x

hazel said...

What a great idea to make a postcard with an old photograph - it's lovely. Thank you for sharing your happy memories with us at Craft-Room Challenge.
xxx Hazel.

craft-roomjulia said...

A wonderful memory page, I absolutely love the post card theme. Thanks for joining us at Craft-Room Challenge, and good luck. Julia xx

stampdiva said...

This is so wonderful. It looks perfectly aged.
Wishes
Lynne

Kim B said...

Great idea, wonderful look. Thanks so much for joining us at Craft-Room Challenge. Kim x

Debi said...

Just perfect Sue, thanks for joining us again at Craft Room challenge- debix

Esther said...

This is beautiful - gorgeous vintage style and lovely memories..Thanks so much for sharing them with us at the Craft-Room Challenge

Nikki Byrne said...

Wonderful creation, so personal and beautiful, thank you for sharing with us at Craft-room challenge. Hugs

Nikki DT