Saturday, 27 August 2011

She Sells Sea Shells, Sitting on the SeaShore

Having finally finished decorating the bathroom, I wanted something seasidy to go on the wall and when I saw a papier mache frame in a local craft store I thought it would be perfect.

First I painted it with cream acrylic paint then when dry painted a layer of light blue acrylic paint roughly  over the top to give a distressed effect.  I was lucky enough to find some really old, very hairy string in my
mother-in-law's shed and used this to tie round the top crosses to give it something to hang on.  I then used sea shells we'd collected from local beaches and some tiny coloured pebbles which came in a gift set from Louise to decorate round the frame.

To make it easier to stamp the images I wanted, I cut another piece of thick white card to fit the inside of the frame and painted this to match.  I then stamped onto this before sticking inside the frame with Glossy Accents.

I used the Art Nouveau lady from a Clarity stamp for the main image.  She has a lovely border round her but I didn't want this to stamp so I used mini post-it notes to mask off these areas before inking in blue StazOn, then removed them before stamping the image on the background.  I made a mask of the same image and used this when stamping the background flourishes in Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink.  For this I used a large heart stamp which has flourishes on it.  I used the same colour ink to stamp some seahorses on the background and then stamped a few more in black to give some depth.

The large shell was found on a recent trip to Tentsmuir Woods and Beach, near Leuchars and is glued on with Glossy Accents, thus proving its stickability!  Finally, as this is going to hang in the bathroom, I gave the whole thing a coat of Glossy Accents to make it easier to clean and less prone to steam damage.


Blogger Templates




2 comments:

Zoechaos said...

Very pretty Sue wonderful home decor XOXO Zoe

stampdiva said...

A beautiful creation for your newly decorated bathroom.
Wishes
Lynne