Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen ....

No I haven't been on holiday nor am I practising the Danny Kaye song.  This is the theme for the current challenge at Our Creative Corner  http://www.ourcreativecorner6.blogspot.com/  or click the link in the sidebar.

There is however a twist and a rather challenging one too.  The DT member who is running the challenge has posted 4 pictures of Copenhagen and you have to interpret one of them but without using any pre-printed papers.  Cool huh?  So I chose the sailing boats on the river and came up with this.


First I used some Cut n Dry Foam and blue StazOn and brushed this across the bottom 2/3 of the card for the water then I cut a strip from a sheet of watercolour paper which I had painted with varying shades of orange and yellow watercolour paint and stuck this to the top 1/3 of the card to give me the sky.  I stamped the Crafty Individuals Stamp CI-295 twice onto white card using black StazOn and cut them out.  I took one and snipped off some of the rigging to make it look different and cut roughly in half so it looks like it's sailing out of the card and used foam pads to stick them on.  The sentiment was stamped using black StazOn. 

  The position of the ships was important for this card to work as they are  large and natural perspective would place them in the foreground, so I positioned them just below the horizon line.  If they were small images they would be in the background and therefore on the horizon as any distant ship would appear in real life.  Simple but I think effective and paying attention to the little details really makes a difference.
Blogger Templates
Blogger Templates

5 comments:

stampdiva said...

You do realise I will have that song in my head all day long!!!
A very important detail when dealing with perspective and well worth the attention to detail to achieve it.
Great card.
Wishes
Lynne

Dolly Daydreams said...

Another stunning piece , what a work of art this is ! Clever and beautifully crafted, you areobviously a very skilled crafter !

Marie

Maria said...

Wow, what a beautiful butterfly house! Very detailed and gorgeous butterflies! Good luck, and thanks for joining in at the Craft-Room Challenge. Maria x

Jennifer Rzasa said...

I adore your watercolor sky- it's so beautiful on your card! Thanks for joining us this week at Our Creative Corner!

Kristin said...

WOW! This is lovely! I love the way you did the sky and the water, simply fantastic. Great job on the challenge, thanks for joining us this week at Our Creative Corner!