Thursday, 7 July 2011

Summer Birthday Craft Room Challenge

The next fortnightly challenge at Craft Room is 'summer birthdays' so get your skates on if you want to take part at http://craft-roomchallenge.blogspot.com/

When I think of summer I see bright, sunny colours like orange, yellow and red so they just had to be part of my card.  I started by laying down a wash of orange and yellow watercolour paint onto watercolour paper, then cut this as my backing paper for the card.   Next I die cut the layers of yellow and orange flower petals using my Cricut and the Gypsy Wanderings cartridge.  I used these to make water distressed card stock blooms, following Gabrielle Pollacco's tutorial over at her blog 'Such A Pretty Mess' (scroll down the sidebar for the link under my blog list).

I used orange StazOn to smudge around the edge of  the white card blank, the ribbons and the edges of the blooms to give the feeling of a really hot, hazy summer afternoon.  I stamped the greeting using orange StazOn and added the chipboard sentiment underneath.

Blogger Templates

5 comments:

Zoechaos said...

Fabulous sunshine Summer Birthday card Sue. Love those flowers and the hot hot hot colours. Thank you for sharing with us at Craft-Room Challenge and good luck in the draw. XOXO Zoe

Maria said...

Gorgeous "warm & hazy summer" card! It's perfect for our challenge and I love your flowers! Good luck, and thanks for joining in at Craft-Room Challenge. Maria x

hazel said...

A lovely bright card for the summer - I love your flowers. Thank you for joining us at Craft-Room Challenge.
xxx Hazel.

Mervi said...

Beautiful entry to my summer birthday theme at Craft-Room Challenge, thanks!
Good luck and hope to see you again;-))m

Nikki Byrne said...

Such a beatifully bright summery card, thank you for sharing it with us at Craft-room challenge. Nikki Dt