Friday, 22 July 2011

Heritage Scrapbooking

Part of the fun of heritage scrapbooking is finding papers and embellishments or even making your own, which add to the old feel of the photos.  I find soft, muted colours work best such as cream, soft brown, lilac, dusky pinks.  All these seem to complement the sepia tones of old photos.

Here's a layout I did about my Mum using an old picture from the early 1940s.


I used a lovely textured pearlescent cardstock in lilac which seemed to match perfectly with the dress Mum is wearing, even though the photo is not colour.  The lace panel behind the picture is a piece from a roller blind sample catalogue and this is stuck over two large widths of cream lace either side. 

If you are using original photographs you need to be very careful about using Lignin and Acid free papers to protect the photos.  I usually scan and print copies of very old photographs so those precious memories are never put at risk but I still matt the prints onto scrapbook paper first to ensure they stay looking their best.  I placed Mum's photo behind a die cut frame and then stuck this down on 3 sides, leaving the top open to tuck in a piece of hidden journaling.  On this I recorded what was written on the back of the original photo together with memories of Mum.

To make the flower I cut 5 circles of brown organza and attached this with a lilac pearl brad and then placed the deep chocolate coloured satin ribbon and bow across the photo.  I used mother of pearl shell buttons and more lilac brads on the ribbon and die cut the title using my Cricut and Cindy Loo cartridge.

Blogger Templates

1 comment:

stampdiva said...

A beautiful way to honour your Mum.
Isn't it interesting that both you and I used the 1940s as our inspiration and we both made our own flowers and they are brown!
Wishes
Lynne