Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Crafty Individuals Challenge - My Lady's Boudoir

The July challenge at http://www.craftyindividualsblog.blogspot.com/ is pink, cream and brown, which to me suggests vintage and feminine so I came up with My Lady's Boudoir, using an altered matchbox and vintage corset rubber stamp from Crafty Individuals.


First I covered the outside of the matchbox in brown paper and then using a piece of sequin waste and cream acrylic paint I sponged random sections of the box to give the spotty effect.  When this was dry I lightly brushed the same colour over some of the edges to soften and then attached a piece of cream lace down the left-hand side.  I stamped the receipt part of CI-306 onto white paper using StazOn ink in red and cut this out.  I stuck this across the top in a rippled effect to give dimension.  I downloaded a paper doll from the web and made the image small enough to fit on the front then cut the doll in half and placed it so it looks like she is hiding behind the receipt. 

For the slide out part of the matchbox I painted the edges with the brown acrylic and then lined the inside with pink patterned paper, making it long enough to form a hinged lid.  I took a lighter pink paper and again using the cream and brown acrylic, sponged through the sequin waste in random sections.  When dry I stuck another piece of cream lade down the middle and this time stamped the corset elements from the stamp on white paper using the red StazOn.  I cut these out and stuck them over the lace and then edged the flap top and inside with a gold Pen-touch pen.

What's the flap for you ask?  Well when you lift it using the ribbon handle you reveal My Lady's Boudoir complete with My Lady.


I sponged the cream and brown acrylic onto the pale pink paper again and then stamped directly onto this using the corset stand element.  I stamped the parasol, bag and fan elements onto white paper using the red StazOn and cut these out and embellished them with gems and cord and stuck them on using foam pads.  I cut a small piece of silver mirror card and put a die cut frame over this for the mirror to complete the setting.

Next I took the same paper doll as before and dressed her in one of the corsets stamped onto cream silk textured paper with the red StazOn.  I cut a square of the same paper and pleated this for the skirt and dabbed the red StazOn over for texture.  A piece of cream velvet ribbon made the wrap and then the parasol and hat were stamped onto the same silk card and embellished as before to complete the outfit.

I love the way this piece has turned out and really enjoyed adding little embellishments to the elements from the stamp.  The doll is the second altered paper doll I've made and I can't tell you how much fun they are.  There are a number of websites offering free printable paper dolls but the site I used for both mine http://www.100megsfree4.com/gogators4/  has a great selection of celebrity dolls to play with.

I hope you like My Lady's Boudoir and perhaps are inspired to make your own.  At least have a go at altered paper dolls, you'll be surprised how much you enjoy making them.
Blogger Templates

6 comments:

jackid said...

Sue these are beautiful love them Hope you are ok
Hugs Jacki xx

Ephemera said...

Hi Sue, what a fab idea, beautifully intricate. x

stampdiva said...

Sue
What a brilliant use of the matchbox and such a gorgeous project.
Wishes
Lynne

Gio said...

it's lovely!

Jean Hardy said...

Lovely use for a matchbox Sue. Thanks for joining in the Challenge. Jean

Zuzu's Blog said...

what a fun idea. its like shes in the changing room of a posh little corset shop. very cool!
I hope thats not what you said in your own comments I just found the font didnt agree with my bad eyesight so couldnt read it. (must go to the optician.)
thanks loads for joining in with the challenge at Crafty Individuals this month.
Z x