Saturday, 25 June 2011

My First Altered Paper Doll - Love It!

This month's challenge at Craft Room is to make an Altered Paper Doll.  Click the link in the sidebar for Craft Room Challenge to take part.

I've never tried anything like this before and must admit that I didn't think it was my sort of thing.  I struggled for a few days not knowing how to approach this even though I checked other blogs and the entries on the Craft Room Challenge Blog. 

Eventually I found a body and face shape that I thought I could use but still hesitated.  It wasn't till I realised that the best way forward was to 'dismember' the body!!!  I cut the doll around the hips so that I could reposition the legs the way I wanted and voila,  it all came together.


I made the dress in two pieces from 2 small paper doilies.  I cut one from the edge to the centre and pleated to make the skirt and then cut a quarter section from the edge of another and folded to make the bodice.  I inked both with two shades of lilac pigment ink and then using a section of a large patterned heart, stamped over this in black StazOn.

Here's a close up of the inked dress which turned out really well.

 I used the same ribbon for the waist and the sandals, cutting this into thin strips. A few stick on gems, some Ranger Stickles in gold, a couple of feathers and a die cut bag completed the outfit.  Then I simply drew the ball masque over the face and she was finished.

I really enjoyed this challenge and couldn't believe how much fun it was designing the outfit.  I'm dead chuffed with the way my 'model' paper doll turned out and I'll definitely be doing more of these, whether for challenges or not.
 Blogger Templates

11 comments:

Zoechaos said...

Sue she is fabulous and that skirt brilliant. So glad you overcame your concern's and made this great altered doll thank you for making and sharing with us at Craft-Room Challenge, good luck. XOXO Zoe

stampdiva said...

Sue
This is such fun.
I love art dolls but never make enough of them myself, it has been a couple of months since my last one.
Hope to see more from you.
Wishes
Lynne

Esther said...

Hi Sue - so pleased you joined in and enjoyed it - I too was a bit daunted by this theme initally but, like you loved it once I got going !! Your Doll is just great -love her bright feathers!! Thanks for joining in at Craft-Room...Esther xx

Kim B said...

Fantastic! I really love that skirt. Thanks so much for joining us at the Craft-Room Challenge. I hope to see you again next time. Hugs, Kim

Debi said...

Sue, Your doll is just great, I'm glad you overcame your fears :-) and made this gorgeous doll- I love her! Thanks for joining us at Craft Room Challenge x Debi x

craft-roomjulia said...

I love your finished doll, the skirt is fabulous and such a clever idea. Thanks for joining us at Craft-Room Challenge. Julia DTxx

hazel said...

Hi Sue. Your doll is fabulous - great legs. I love the way you've done the skirt. Thank you for joining us at Craft-Room Challenge.
xxx Hazel.

Maria said...

Wow, fantastic altered doll! Love all the detail you put in, especially the dress and face. Good luck, and thanks for joining in at the Craft-Room Challenge. Maria x

Nikki Byrne said...

What a beautiful doll! Thank you for joining us at Craft room challenge this fortnight. Nikki DT

jackid said...

This is amazing Sue way to go girl brilliant love it by the way our creative corner are having a DT call if you are interested http://ourcreativecorner6.blogspot.com/
Jacki xx

Mervi said...

She's so elegant, what a skirt!
Gorgeous paper doll!
Thank you for sharing this with us at the Craft-Room Challenge;-))m