Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Boxes of Delight are a Crafter's Companion

I recently purchased the Crafter's Companion Envelobox Creator board  and what an easy-to-use board it is.  All the maths has been done for you, all you need to do is decide on the size of card you are making and the depth of Envelobox you need, which will be dependent on the embellishments and toppers you use.  Once this decision is made you simply find those sizes in the accompanying booklet, look down the grid and there is the size of card you need, the scoring channels to follow and the sequence.  Honestly, it really is that simple.

I decided to make gift Enveloboxes for some thank you cards I have to make.  There are 4 in total and although I used similar colours, the cards are all different with a slight variation on the boxes.  

Here is the first set to be completed and I'm really pleased with how the boxes turned out.  I chose to make 1/2" depth Enveloboxes for cards that are 5" x 7" and chose ivory coloured pearlescent card which I cut to the required size. I scored and folded all 4 boxes at the same time and for the first one, decided to add the embellishments before I had constructed the box.  For the next one I made the box up first and found it was easier to add the 3D embellishments I had made this way but if you're using flat elements it wouldn't matter.



I chose a pretty patterned paper and die cut some flourishes in different sizes using my Cricut and the Cindy Loo cartridge.  I then used my Gypsy to cut some flower shapes from the Gypsy Wanderings cartridge, again in different sizes.  I inked the edges of the flowers using VersaMark chalk inks in a contrasting colour and then spritzed them with water, scrunched them up and then opened them out and left to dry. Once dry they are very stiff and you can pull the petals up to make a 3D flower.  I chose to have only 3 layers of petals but you could have more than this and I have made 5 layers for a scrapbook layout.

 This is a very easy technique and produces really lovely results.  I wish it was my idea but I have to thank Gabrielle Pollacco at Such a Pretty Mess for this one.  Click the link on my sidebar under My blog list and scroll down Gabrielle's blog tutorials to 'Flower Tutorial - making water distressed card stock blooms'.  

For the card I used a similar coloured pearlescent card blank and matted and layered cream and black card, finishing with some patterned paper. You can see I cut a daisy out of each corner of the black card using a small punch.  I added some black velvet ribbon threaded through a cream buckle which I die cut using my old Quickutz Revolution.  I didn't want the card to be too fussy, so I finished it with some pre-made paper flowers and the little daisy die cuts from the black card.



I'll post pictures of the other 3 sets when they're completed but if you would like to make boxes like these then the Envelobox Creator is fantastic.

Blogger Templates


2 comments:

jackid said...

Sue I really love this card it's so pretty and your enveloboxes are fab
But I really do like this card

lynne said...

Hi Sue
This is such a pretty idea. Beautiful.
Thank You for visiting my Blog, Adorn. At the moment I cannot seem to stop myself from using that particular CI set. Once I've completed the set of cards I am working them I will need to hide them and use some other stamps LOL.
Wishes
Lynne