I finally started making the decorative tiles to go under the mantel piece, on the closed-in chimney breast. I chose to use air dry clay (which literally dries over 2-3 days in the air) as it is quite firm when dried out due to the tiny fibres in the clay which bond it together. This I feel gives a more authentic tile look, plus I wanted to try stamping and embossing on the finished tile but there are other modelling clays available. There, that's the official disclaimer bit out of the way. You can't accuse me of bias!!
I have put the tutorial for this on a separate page if you want to try this yourself but here are pictures of the two I've finished. As you can see after painting the tiles, I stamped them and then gave them a 'glaze' with Glossy Accents. The grunge flower stamp was free with the August 2010 issue Craft Stamper Magazine and the house is from Crafty Individuals.
For the tutorial, with step-by-step pictures, go to the button at the top of the sidebar.
I have another four tiles to decorate and for the next two I'm going to try heat embossing, so you don't have to if it goes wrong!