Friday, 15 April 2011

Lickety Spit With Those Stamps

At last I've finally got round to doing something with the stamps I bought in Cuba in 2009.  I wanted to display them on the wall and at first thought of putting them on a canvas but I realised that with time they would get dusty (more work) and possibly fade.  I decided to put them in a proper picture frame for protection and set about altering an old frame which was a bamboo colour.  I removed the glass and backing and painted the frame with neat Burnt Umber acrylic paint, dry brushing in different directions, unevenly to give an old, more weathered look to the frame.

I wanted to use the hardboard backing to mount the stamps and painted it all over with a pale mix of Burnt Umber and Titanium White acrylic paint.  Again I brushed unevenly and at random angles across the board. (I'm afraid as usual I forgot to take a picture of this stage but you'll get the idea in a minute, honest)

When dry I stamped over the board with a Crafty Individuals clock stamp No. C1 - 225, using Rangers Distress Ink in Brushed Corduroy.  This took ages to dry, even with the heat gun and was still a little wet when I was ready to go onto the next stage, so I blotted the whole board with plain white cartridge paper to absorb any excess ink.  Then I tore some pieces of old card stock and some white tissue paper and pasted this on the board at random, using Glossy Accents. 




While this dried I looked at the stamps and a number of them had blue in them so I die cut the word Cuba and the date we were there from light blue card stock using my Cricut Don Juan cartridge.  How appropriate was that!  I dabbed these lightly with the Distress Ink to tone down the colour and give a slightly aged look, then stuck these to the board, giving them a coat of Glossy Accents to give a slight sheen.

Next came the fun of placing the stamps, rearranging them and then moving them again until I was happy with the rough layout.  I tried to avoid uniformity where possible and when happy with the layout, I used stamp mounts to stick them to the board.  That way they can be removed in the future without damaging them.
Finally, I went back to the frame and using a Crafty Individuals script stamp, inked roughly over the frame in StazOn gold.  The frame is narrow so I knew the script wouldn't come out clearly but it gave a nice finish to the project (which unfortunately you can' really see in this picture).

The overall appearance is aged and subtle, just what I wanted.  The backing needed to add another dimension to the stamps, not detract from them and I think I achieved that.

All-in-all a nice way to display the souvenir stamps and much better than putting them in a folder or album where they wouldn't be seen.
Blogger Templates


1 comment:

jackid said...

Hi Sue love what you have done with the frame I would never of thought of anything loke that
Jacki xx