Saturday, 23 April 2011

Crafty Individuals Challenge

I was delighted to discover that my favourite on line shop, Crafty Individuals, is hosting a challenge this month.  The theme is very simple: squares using at least one of their products. Here is the link to check it out: http://www.craftyindividualsblog.blogspot.com

Here's my entry using two of their wonderful rubber stamps; CI-295 ship, and CI-017 a beautiful script stamp which I've used on loads of projects.  When I ordered the ship stamp I didn't realise that it was  Discovery which is a permanent exhibition in Dundee, near to where I live, so I was thrilled.



I decided to make a note book for my project and stamped Discovery on the non-shiny side of some brown parcel paper, using VersaMark and then heat embossed with black embossing powder.  The paper took on the look and feel of greased proof paper and looked fantastic so I'll be using this technique again.  I distressed some corrugated cardboard packaging, peeling away some of the top layer and inking using StazOn Black around the edges and Distress Ink in Brushed Corduroy.  I then randomly brushed the VersaMark over this and heat embossed using black and bronze.  I tore some strips of mulberry paper and stamped these using the script stamp and black StazOn and positioned them under the image of Discovery and glued these to the corrugated cardboard.

I cut two squares from plain chipboard and covered these in a mottled effect, brown paper and brushed the edges with black StazOn.  I took one for the front cover and brushed more VersaMark ink randomly around the edges and again heat embossed using black and bronze and then mounted the image square onto this to form the front cover.

  I cut cream paper for the notebook pages and inked the edges with the brushed corduroy distress ink and bound the book using antique brass Owires and the Bind-it-All.  For the finishing touch I glued a leather strip and tassel to the front edge of the book, under the binding, using Glossy Accents.

Blogger Templates



6 comments:

jackid said...

This is fab Sue what a wonderful idea love the image to
Jacki xx

stampdiva said...

Hi Sue
I saw your notebook over at Crafty Individuals Challenge. Little did I know that when I visited I would discover you live near Dundee, I live in Perth!!! There are so few crafters from Scotland, or maybe I haven't discovered their blogs yet. Lovely to meet you and your Blog. Will add to my favourites so I can see what you are getting up to.
BTW notebooks are a favourite of mine to make and I have two up as a Giveaway at my Blog now if you are interested.
Have a lovely weekend.
Lynne

Jean Hardy said...

Great entry Sue - lovely notebook. Thanks for joining in. Jean

florenceandfreddie said...

Great book Sue. What a lot of work you have put into this.
Florence.

Netty said...

Beautiful notebook, love the whole look of this. Annette

Dolly Daydreams said...

Beautiful notebook fantastic stamping and colours.

Marie