Sunday, 18 July 2010

A Spoonful of Crafting

Now my kitchen has been decorated I wanted to add a few personal touches, shabby chic style of course.  Whilst stirring the risotto with my wooden spoon I realised that these would make interesting and appropriate decorations so I bought some long and some short wooden spoons quite cheaply and set about altering them.
Here is the first one which I'm really pleased with.  If you want to try it yourself, here are the details.


Crafty Essentials
Wooden spoon
PVA glue (the one that dries clear)
Medium sized artist brush
Patterned paper
Glossy Accents
Co-ordinating narrow and wide ribbon
You don't have to use expensive patterned paper, anything in a colour you like would do.  I also added a cat to the handle but it could be left quite plain.
 
WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS?

This is a cheap and easy craft project which would keep the kids amused in the holidays.  They could use magazine or comic images to glue on the spoon then add a photo of themselves or a friend or pet.  Great idea for a kid's party as it's messy and produces a pressie to take home.

FOR THIS SPOON

Choose two co-ordinating patterned papers, I used pink striped and blue dotted and tear them into pieces about the size of a  2p piece.

  1. Cut a length of the narrow ribbon for a hook and glue this to the back of the spoon using PVA glue.  Paste a small square of white paper over the ribbon and cover this was PVA glue to strengthen.
  2. Brush small areas of the spoon with a thick layer of PVA glue and stick the paper on in a patchwork style.  Keep it random so as to look nature.
  3. Cover the whole spoon back, front and edges, overlapping the paper.
  4. When completely dry, cover the whole spoon with a layer of Glossy Accents to give a shine and seal in the paper.  Remember I made mine for the kitchen.
  5. When this is dry, tie the wide ribbon in a bow around the top of the handle.
  6. To make the cat I used a rubber stamp to stamp onto pale pink paper which I cut out.  I then added the eyes, whiskers and a small piece of ribbon for a collar and then covered with Glossy Accents and stuck onto the handle using PVA. 
I am so pleased with the way this turned out that I plan to do several more to make a display but in slightly different styles.  Watch out for another post on A Spoonful of Crafting next week.


Blogger Templates
Blogger Templates


No comments: